Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Pork Asado (Tagalog style)

Z requested this recipe when she smelled my lunch box today.

Ingredients :
300 grams lean pork (pref. one chunk)
2 pcs medium size potato, peeled, whole
1 pc medium size carrot, peeled and cut into 2 chunks
1 pc large red bellpepper, cut into bite size

1 tsp 5-spice powder
1 tsp coriander powder
1 tsp cinnamon powder
1 tsp dried oregano and rosemary
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
2 pcs bay leaf (this is called laurel leaf in our household)
2 pcs star anise (optional as I already included 5-spice but I like the strong aroma of star anise. And since I already have it.)

1 tbs canola or corn oil

3 tbs light soy sauce
2 tbs dark soy sauce
1 tbs rice vinegar (or any type of vinegar. I actually used balsamic)
juice of half a lemon

2 medium size tomato, chopped
2 cloved garlic, peeled and crushed
1/4 cup chopped white onion ( or half an onion)
1 cup water (you may need to add more as you cook)


I know some of the ingredients are not Tagalog per se, but let's just say that's how I would do it if I have all the ingredients - and I happen to. Also, Z said the list of ingredients is intimidating (read : too many) but I told her save for the pork and veggies, I already have all those ingredients in my kitchen.

So here's how -

1. On medium heat, lightly brown the pork in a heated pot with oil (about 3 minutes each side). Set the pork aside on one side of the pot.

2. Saute garlic, onion and tomato for about a minute or two. Doesnt matter how you do it, really. In fact, you can toss the garlic, onion and tomato together. Just be careful not to burn the pork while you are doing this.

3. Add the rest of the ingredients (except potato, carrot and bell pepper).

4. Cover and let it on a gentle simmer for about an hour, stirring occassionally.

5. Then add the potato, carrot and red bellpepper and let is simmer for another half an hour.

6. While the pot is gently simmering, take out the potato and carrot and let is simmer for another half an hour.

7. Slice the potato and carrot half inch thick and put back into the pot.

8. Before serving, slice the pork half inch thick and top with the sauce.

Serve with white rice. Also good with fresh baguette or rolled inside a flour tortilla.

Serves 2 very hungry people (or 3 not-so-hungry).

Here's the picture of the left-over which I also had for dinner with a glass of red wine.

No comments:

Post a Comment